My approach might be a good fit for you if:
- You have decided that you have “enough” money. This is not a specific dollar amount, nor does it reflect the idea of reaching some traditional retirement age. It also doesn’t mean you will never again work for money. Rather, the need to earn money is no longer the major driver of your life decisions.
- You have previously been very focused on one part of your life, for example your profession, child rearing, or end-of-life care of a loved one. You are excited about the freedom that lies ahead, but also a bit apprehensive about how to fill your days in a way that feels good to you, and that will leave you without regrets at the end of your life.
- You enjoy your money, without extremes of either over-spending or hoarding.
- You have a positive attitude and a good relationship with family members. It isn’t necessary for your spouse or life partner to do this program with you, but it sure would be a lot of fun to do it together.
- You are willing to commit time and energy and, if necessary, money to design the next phase of your life. There is no prescribed pace, but five hours a week should move you along nicely.
- You want to spend some amount of your life’s time, energy and money trying to make the world a better place, however you define that.
- You are comfortable with change and open to new ideas.
- You believe in your ability to design and create your own life.
- Ideally you are healthy, but even if you are in the final stages of a terminal illness you can benefit, as long as you have some flexibility in the daily choices you make.
This program will most likely not be for you if:
- You believe someone or something outside yourself needs to change in order for you to be content.
- You are looking for someone to tell you what your ideal life should look like.
- You are looking for a second opinion on your investment mix or withdrawal plans. Although I am a CFP ®, I no longer provide traditional financial planning services. I encourage you to work with a fiduciary Financial Advisor to answer these kinds of questions.
- You have an illness that requires the involvement of a mental health professional.